Saturday, September 15, 2007

Queues as customers withdraw money

Queues as customers withdraw money

There were queues outside branches of Northern Rock as some customers rushed to withdraw their money from the troubled bank.

Despite being urged not to panic, fears over the lender's financial future were enough to send some people racing to safeguard their funds.

At a branch in Newcastle city centre, customers were queuing on to the pavement.

Savers said they were concerned for their investments following the news that the company had called on the Bank of England to help it through the crisis.

One customer said: "I'm not sure about this, even though they say it is going to be all right. If they are short of funds, what happens to our funds?"

Another customer, a pensioner who did not wish to be named, said she was withdrawing all her savings.

She said: "I have shares, and I have a Tessa and I'll keep those here but I'm taking out my savings as I'm worried."

Another woman, who was with her husband, said she was worried and added: "I want to spend my money before someone else does."

People in the queue burst out laughing when one staff member asked them: "Does anyone want to pay money in?"

Representatives from rival high street banks were spotted speaking to customers and handing out financial literature.

No comments: