Thursday, December 06, 2007

A Real Estate Agent speaks

I loved selling RE in the early 90’s after the last bubble blew. The buyers were loyal and really need help sorting through the MOUNTAIN of inventory and were grateful for your time and service finding them a good purchase. Shortly after 2000 everything went to shit (except the money) when the lenders gave money to any chimp with a bananna. Then the sellers acted as if they were doing you a favor by letting you “have the listing” and the buyers would screw you at the drop of a hat no matter how much time and effort you gave to them. Around ‘02 the corruption started in earnest and it really became a game of “SCREW THE FB!!!!”. By the time we got to 05′ I had took the time to finish my Accounting degree and stopped selling to buyers. The corruption (actual blatant law breaking) became so common place with the new agents/lenders/title cos. that those involved assumed that “this is the way it works”… Break the law, get paid… wash, rinse, repeat..

I am getting ready to get my RE brokers license, but don’t think I will ever practice openly again. Will do my own deals, or for friends, but this bubble has crushed my desire to work actively with others that entered the business. I am sure that most of the shukamajivers will get washed out, but it just put a horrible taste in my mouth that will be hard to forget.

No comments: